Tuesday 16 November 2010

Feelings

My today’s research involves looking at the role of participants and pieces of art in art galleries and art gallery space, using the gallery as an immersive space for experiencing and interpreting artworks and my feelings when I inside the gallery space environment. Using the Walker Art Gallery’s and TATE’s sculpture collections and exhibition as inspiration, I tried to compare sculptures and space around it, my feelings and emotions inside the exhibition space.

I like classic sculptures more than contemporary sculptures.
When I visited sculptures room in the ground floor of Walker Gallery, I always do my walk through sculptures room and every time I saw something new and wonderful. It is strange, the same collection and the same sculptures but it is different all the time. Maybe it is depend from my mood? I don’t know. Probably…
I really adore those old sculptors! They spend so many times and emotions, talent and efforts to produce those brilliant pieces of art. Timeless and amazing!
My feelings in sculpture’s room remind me my feelings in the church or ancient cemetery. Maybe it because all those models and people died long time ago and long time ago was died whole epoch and culture of producing such brilliant pieces of art.
When I visited Walker’s sculptures I have a great desire to sit beside it and thinking about life, future and poetry and drawing it. I mesmerised by old sculptures room spiritual atmosphere.
Today I have chance to compare my feelings. I went to the TATE sculptures rooms to explore this concept about feelings of space. There is absolutely different environment. I like pink wall and whole exhibition. Behind every contemporary sculpture in the first place is name and period of time-epoch when every sculptor-personality was produced his art work. There are not so important how efforts and talent the sculptor put to the work. In the TATE sculpture’s room not so important each piece of art but whole collection and exhibition’s room atmosphere. The atmosphere is absolutely different if compare to the Walker’s sculptures. It is cheerful and optimistic, for me, in my opinion, today. Of course some sculpture left to me feelings that sculptor are cheating my aesthetic taste. Everybody can produce the same and without any art education and talent…but in the first place in the contemporary art is – the name. I dislike Damien Hirst’s “Shark” or Tracy Emin’s “Bed” but who cares? It is the names.   Who I am to judge it?



 Poetry from A. S. J. Tessimond:
The British
We are a people living in shells and moving
Crablike; reticent, awkward, deeply suspicious;
Watching the world from a corner of half-closed eyelids,
Afraid lest someone show that he hates or loves us,
Afraid lest someone weep in the railway train.

We are coiled and clenched like a foetus clad in armour.
We hold our hearts for fear they fly like eagles.
We grasp our tongues for fear they cry like trumpets.
We listen to our own footsteps. We look both ways
Before we cross the silent empty road.

We are a people easily made uneasy,
Especially wary of praise, of passion, of scarlet
Cloaks, of gesturing hands, of the smiling stranger
In the alien hat who talks to all or the other
In the unfamiliar coat who talks to none.

We are afraid of too-cold thought or too-hot
Blood, of the opening of long-shut shafts or cupboards,
Of light in caves, of X-rays, probes, unclothing
Of emotion, intolerable revelation
Of lust in the light, of love in the palm of the hand.

 We are afraid of, one day on a sunny morning,
  Meeting ourselves or another without the usual
  Outer sheath, the comfortable conversation,
  And saying all, all, all we did not mean to,
  All, all, all we did not know we meant.

(A. S. J. Tessimond)