Monday 5 December 2011

Anne Michaux

Anne Michaux
age: 35
country: Germany
website: www.annemichaux.net

Me, 2009

What’s the central theme of your work?
What drives my work is a fascination with the rapid changes of the world we are living in. at the moment my series are influenced by an idea of a nostalgic view on the end of a western world. In general, my work combines nostalgia with longing, dreams with nightmares. I am fascinated by the “darker” side of our society, by things that are not apparent, but are lurking beneath the surface of the obvious. I try to show in my pictures the things that I feel are there but not readily visible to the casual observer. The “weirdness” of things fascinates me, those parts of society that are usually glossed over, and those that are not accessible to me.

It's sometimes hard to balance on the thin line between art and illustration. You describe your work as photographic illustrations. Why?
I call it illustration for the simple reason that with my photography I try to “illustrate” an idea I have. I illustrate an idea by building a setting that corresponds in one way or another with the initial idea, what happens after I put the initial setting in place hopefully goes further the a “simple” illustration of an idea.