Saturday 16 October 2010

Camille Allen's babies

http://www.camilleallen.com/camille_allen.htm

This is absolutely amazing babies-dolls!!!
---------------------------------------------------
 "A year later when I had some bits of leftover clay from a larger doll, I formed the bit of clay into a miniature baby.  When I held the tiny baby in my hand I had the  feeling of protectiveness and fascination. I loved it instantly!
  The first miniature baby I made was curled in a fetal position, and I even gave it an umbilical cord, as if it was still in the womb.  The shape and size of the baby seemed similar to that of an egg shell. I tried this, and the baby fit perfectly inside an egg!
 I I am privileged to have learned the art of doll making from my husband's grandmother just over 8 years ago. She taught me how to sculpt large lifesize dolls in polymer clay." (Camille Allen)











TThis was how the idea of "Egg Babies" was born. I think the fragile newborn baby is complimented by the egg shell, reminding us of how fragile new life is and how gently they must be treated and cared for.


Later I tried sculpting a baby inside a seashell - thus the "Shell Babies". The shapes of and textures of different seashells either echo the soft curves of babies, or they provide an interesting contrast to emphasize them. Some Shell Babies have pearls in their navels or are holding a pearl, like two little treasures found in one shell!