Sunday 2 October 2011

Brussels and Rene Magritte

Atomium (built in 1959 for the World's Fair)
My Belgium trip is coming to an end here in Brussels and on my last free day I spend it at the Musée Magritte. Located at the Place Royale, you can reach it via a pleasant walk from the Bourse metro stop…up the Mont des Arts.  Upon arrival, you have some of the best views of the city…and you have a choice of numerous museums. Magritte is genius! I have passion about his work. I have probably been to as many art exhibitions as humanly possible, and there’s no rhyme or reason as to why I find such kinship in his art.  Especially considering that I study art history.  Perhaps it’s just the fact that in many of his paintings, he gives you just a glimpse into what could be. The world is never as it seems and yet all so familiar.  At least that is my interpretation of surrealism. I was particularly interested by the sample of Magritte’s writing on the relationship between objects, images and languages and had an interesting time tracking it through the paintings. 


This is the first house of Magritte in Brussels where he lived with his wife Georgette ("Olympia" in the painting) for 24 years. Here he produced the most part of his masterpieces. It is a narrow and dark room, between the kitchen and the bedroom.
The painting ("Olympia") has been stolen on 24th of September 2009.